[PLUG] broadbrand advice

Sean Whitney sean at fork.com
Sun Feb 2 15:34:01 UTC 2003

On Sunday 02 February 2003 14:10, you wrote:
> It is my understanding that the data going to/from a cable modem within
> the cable network is encrypted.
Not so the data is only "encrypted" within the DOCSIS spec.  It's not "real"
ethernet that can be intercepted with traditional ethernet tools, however the
same broadcast and transmissions are still seen on the ethernet side of all
cable modems.

 Once the data leaves the cable network
> and enters other public networks it's as vulnerable as any other
> network traffic. What does DSL have that makes it more secure? My guess
> is that once the data enters other public networks is no more secure
> than any other data unless the data is already encrypted just like data
> from a cable network.
>
> Also in someways a cable network may be a bit more secure since
> vulnerable SMB ports are automatically blocked so people using Windows
> systems can't have any shared filesystems and/or printers accessed by
> others. This is a good thing since most users don't have a clue on how
> to properly secure their systems. I've not heard of DSL blocking access
> to SMB ports.
This also isn't true in all senses.  ATT might do this (I don't know) we have
discussed block SMB/NFS/XPWin/Appletalk ports at the cable modem to provide
basic security to our customer, to protect them from our customers, however
we having implemented this yet.

Sean