[PLUG] Desperate situation-> Quick time videos in Linux?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Feb 4 07:25:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

Caution Redhat'r ahead.

> I read comments like this (mostly on this list) all the time and I have to
> wonder if there is some OTHER software called MPlayer that is "a bear to
> install".

I searched on rpmfind and pulled the src RPM backwith.  (Advise on the
mplayer site and friends suggested there could be problems with library
version unless compiled on the machine it was going to run on.)  Between
14-16 hour days and a lack of attention I missed the real problem with the
rebuild - the /usr/local/man/man1 directory didn't exist - but a few days
later I took the time to look at the output.  5-10 minutes later I had
mplayer installed.

> I built a new MPlayer just after New Year's Day and it was just a matter
> of ./configure --help, picking out the options I needed, running
> configure, then make, then make install.  I also downloaded some big fancy
> new set of (unfortunately binary) codecs and added them to the group in
> /usr/lib/win32/ and now I can play just about anything.

Made the mistake of placing them in the mplayer library directory.  A
quick link and I was watching everything I could find and wanted to
download for free.

> But anyway, MPlayer builds cleanly and just works.  You kinda gotta watch
> the configure output to make sure all the options you want are going to be
> compiled in based on the libraries you have available and everything, but
> it's not like it asks for anything unreasonable.

Rod