[PLUG] Dealing with security

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Feb 4 13:36:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:

> At 10:54 AM 2/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> >I'm not that ancient yet and even some 20 years ago I didn't see Unix
> >systems in a networked environment that much. We mostly had 1200 bps
> >serial connections to dumb terminals.
>

> Um, what did the dumb terminals connect to, and what OS was THAT computer
> running?
>
> I'd bet it was some form of Unix.

In my case you would lose the bet.

The PICK os ran on dumb terminals at 9600 baud (or slower) using
unshielded lines in most cases.  They did not move to Unix until the early
90s.

The first dumb terminals I used were on a Honeywell mainframe at the
University of Alaska.  That system was running a Honeywell proprietary OS.
(Back in the mid 70s.)  They started on cards and moved to DecWriters and
VT-102s.