[PLUG] Re: Desperate situation-> Quick time videos in Linux?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Feb 4 14:43:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> Does anyone besides me think that building software and using software
> are two **completely different** things?
[snip]
> The minute we start complaining that developers need to make sure their
> Makefiles are completely user friendly is the day that developers will
> flip us all the finger and go underground.

I agree completely.  That's why we need to encourage people either become
or find competent administrators for their general purpose computer
systems.

> The minute you decide to build software from scratch, you toss "just
> works" out the window.

No, you just change your definition of "just works".

Social norms (which "easy" and "just works" really are) are defined by the
group with which you identify.  When you decide to build software from
scratch, you move from "user" to "administrator" and the definitions
change.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin