[PLUG] Dealing with security

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Tue Feb 4 17:52:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 13:38, Ed Sawicki wrote:

> Than what's the solution?

I have seen management actually tell the MS reps that they intended to
spend IT dollars elsewhere, citing the fact that the product was not
worth the price anymore. That strategy sent a very clear signal to MS,
once that they realized we were serious, and the negotiation started
followed by a genuine effort to fix any existing problems that we had.

Microsoft's development teams actually have the ability to deliver
quality, I don't think that anyone would dispute that, unfortunately
their management and marketing machine lacks the motivation to allow the
basic fundamental changes necessary to implement quality and security.
This situation corrects itself a little more with every customer that
tells MS that they intend to move to a competitor.

All in all, it's really not complaints that Microsoft lacks (threads
like this one happen daily and globally). I feel that the solution rests
firmly on the shoulders of IT decision makers - when they make a
conscious decision to use non-MS products, thus stopping the constant
flow of cash, Microsoft will solve the problem very quickly.