[PLUG] Dealing with security

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Tue Feb 4 21:52:01 UTC 2003

Since I asked the original question I'll interpret it.
I'd prefer that the issue of Microsoft's security problems
is solved by replacing Microsoft's products with those that
were designed to be secure from the start. Why reward
a monopolist that's responsible for the horrid state of
computing and for breaking the law. Jeme can argue the latter
point.

Ed

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 20:44, Steven A. Adams wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 20:15, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
>
> > I don't think the question was "What is the solution to Microsoft's
> > security problems?", but rather, "What is the solution to showing people
> > that Linux-based and other Unix-like systems are less susceptible to virii
> > and usually more secure?"
> >
> > Maybe I misread, but I don't think the problem of Microsoft's security
> > methods are all that relevant to most of us (except insofar as protocols
> > get broken and become unusable due to something Microsoft botched either
> > on purpose or by blunder).
> >
> I don't think that you misread the question at all. I interpreted the
> thread to be a discussion on what is the solution to putting pressure on
> MS to correct some of the problems that their plague their OSes. Was
> that the wrong impression?
>
> I really don't believe that the Engineers at MS intentionally produce
> code that breaks. Not sure if you remember or not but every MS OS from
> Win95 and to current had a hard-coded release date that was set by MS
> Marketing (we all know that this normally happens with a dart board and
> not through feasibility study). Perhaps this little snip from RFC1925
> would help them in the future.
>
>   (2)  No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority,
>        you can't increase the speed of light.
>
>        (2a) (corollary). No matter how hard you try, you can't make a
>             baby in much less than 9 months. Trying to speed this up
>             *might* make it slower, but it won't make it happen any
>             quicker.

Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC