[PLUG] egrep help please

Mike De La Mater mikedela at ipns.com
Tue Feb 4 23:15:02 UTC 2003

My son is selling his game boay advance on ebay. I'm hosting the picures on my server, because I'm cheap and
nothing sells like photographs. (except touch, bu apache doesn't do that yet)

I'm wanting to do a little specialized analysis of my log files. I want to know how many looks at the files
with "/gba/" AND "_small.jpg" and how many looked at the files that were only "/gba/" this will tell me how
many clicked on the link for a much larger image to really check out his item. Part of the problem is that
there are other entries in the log that have "_small.jpg" in them.

I'm using egrep like this:
egrep -c "/gba/" /var/log/httpd/access_log
THis gives me half of what I want.

I've tried:
egrep -c "/gba/|_small" /var/log/httpd/access_log
but it gives me an EITHER search, not what I wanted. I cannot find an AND in the man page, maybe because it's
too simple to specify.

Is there a character for this, or will egrep even do this?

Mike De La Mater
Small business networks and technology consulting
503-702-6749
mikedela at ipns.com