[PLUG] a Samba PDC - has it actually been done?

Daniel Petcher daniel_petcher at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 05:40:02 UTC 2003

I've heard that it can be done, and I've got five different
(conflicting) sets of instructions regarding HOW to do it, but I just
want to know....

Has anybody set-up Samba to act as an NT4 primary domain controller to
authenticate logins from Win98SE boxes _AND_ joined a Windows2000
server to this Samba-controlled domain? Before I invest any more time
and effort in this project that's momentarily beyond my skills, I want
to know if anyone else has successfully done it before. I've heard it's
possible, I've gathered documentation, and I've seen ads for embedded
appliances that claim to have this feature, but I want to know whether
or not some mere mortal has done it before.

I've got plenty of systems experience and a worthless paper
certification on the Windows side of the planet, and I've been using
mostly-GUI applications in Linux. I've hacked at this in my spare time
for a few weeks with limited success. This is my first real
system-level project in Linux and I'm just drowning in obsolete and
incompletely debugged information.

I found an excellent tutorial from IBM, but just because it's
well-written, that doesn't mean it's necessarily accurate from the
technical standpoint. I've read HowTo documents from Samba.org, but
they haven't been updated in a timely fashion. I spoke to David last
night at the meeting and he recommended some dead-tree references I
might find at Powell's Technical annex.

=====
---
Daniel Petcher