[PLUG] How to indentify a computer on the network

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Feb 7 17:43:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 17:33, Josh Orchard wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm sure some of you have had this problem and can give me a nice trick to
> find the computer.
>
> I have a computer on the network doing NTP broadcast yet I can not find it.
>
> I know the IP and I know that windows nbtstat doesn't respond.  This makes
> me think that maybe it is some sort of linux box.  But I could be wrong.
>
> Does anyone know how I would go about testing to see what type of machine
> it is and how to find it?  I have no idea where it is in the building
> either.

If you've got the IP address, you've also got the MAC address.  From
that, you can find a) The NIC manufacturer and b) The switch port
(assuming you're using switched Ethernet).

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
QCSNet                                     http://www.qcsn.com
* * * * T1, Frame Relay, DSL, Dial-up, and Web Hosting * * * *