[PLUG] Helping MPlayer install to -not- suck ...

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Fri Feb 7 19:41:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 17:01, guy1656 wrote:
> What do you think? Can we do this? Does anybody want to? Gather seed money
> and do a website or product launch? I already have a company and a rented
> mailbox. Anyone interested?

I'm not too sure that you'll get favorable market study results on this.
The reason that I say this is because most source tarballs, and I have
not seen any that don't, come with at least a README or INSTALL document
in the source root. If you look in the source root of the latest MPlayer
tarball you'll find a README text file that includes step by step
installation procedures.

Yes, configure/make/make install  is more difficult than insert CD/click
Setup but I would encourage you to ask around and see if you can get a
feel for how many folks really hate to read an INSTALL document
(something that will have to be done regardless of the installation
method).