[PLUG] anybody using this?

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Sat Feb 8 13:19:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 11:47, Steven Raymond wrote:

> Hmmm, that makes a question occur to me; has everyone (who runs their own
> mail server) tried Postfix's built-in anti-spam measures?

Yes, I do that currently for my mail and for customers.

> Since I switched to Postfix and turned on most (all?) of the features in
> main.cf, I receive fewer than 1 spam per week.  I take that back, last
> week I received two (down from 10-15 per day before Postfix).

My mail servers turn away about 10,000 spam messages a week. That's
for me and all my customers combined. The number is deceptive because
much of the software that spammers use doesn't understand error codes
and continues trying to deliver their message even when given the
SMTP error code to go away. So, the number may be high. However, when
that happens, I either block these ill-behaved servers at the
firewall, or lie to them when they do their DNS query, so the number
may be low.

The nice thing about Postfix for my customers is the white list
capability. I can be aggressive when suppressing spam but allow
white mail to get through.

> So my questions are- why aren't the blacklists used by Postfix & it's
> other tools used more commonly?

Because you'd have to take the time to understand them and
configure them. In particular, you need to understand when
one of these features has a high probability of turning away
white mail.

--
Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC