[PLUG] a Samba PDC - has it actually been done?

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Sat Feb 8 17:28:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 17:14, Michael Luevane wrote:
> Ah. One issue that I had was that I couldn't figure out how to have
> automatically expiring passwords or how to have users change their passwords
> from their machines. Additionally, there are *two* passwords that need to be
> changed (as far as *I* can figure out) - the Samba password and the *nix
> password. I'm not a guru by any stretch of the imagination...

I don't know how to get the passwords expire, but sync'ing them up isn't
difficult.  You must manually sync them the first time, if I understand
things properly... but from then out you just use proper 'passwd
program' and 'unix passowrd sync' lines and as long as all password
changes are made via SMB, it all stays sync'd up.  What it does,
essentially, is takes that password you entered for samba and runs
passwd, inputting that password for your account.

See the example I just posted for how it works for me...

Rob