[PLUG] Linux supported TV card

Marc marcm at dsl-only.net
Mon Feb 10 00:47:01 UTC 2003

On Mon 02/10/03  0:24, me at prestoncrawford.com wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Marc wrote:
>
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > > I am looking for a TV card for my linux box?  I have cable TV and want to
> > > be able to watch them on my linux box.  I found a lot of TV cards (that
> > > have coaxial input) for Windows but have not been able to find one that
> > > supports linux.
> >
> > I have an AverMedia Stereo from Fryes (about $50) that works fine.  I run
> > 'xawtv' to see the picture, and I'm using the coax input.
> >
> > You should be fine with a capture card that uses one of the chips from
> > Brooktree.  Here is my '/sbin/lspci' output in case you find it useful:
>
> Wait, you get this to work without having to recompile the kernel or did you
> have to do that? I bought this exact same card this weekend and it wasn't
> recognized  as the right card, so the audio is messed up. I get the SAP audio
> on many channels or no audio at all using kwintv.

No kernel recompile was necessary, but you may need to mess with your
/etc/modules.conf file a bit to get rid of the SAP problem:

    options bttv gpiomask=0x0f audiomux=14,0,0,0,0

The values in "audiomux" were derived experimentally; I just kept trying
numbers from 1 on up until I got the right sound for the video.  I learned what
(little) I know of this from a Google hit and some browsing of the "bttv"
module's source code in the kernel tree.

> Have you tried using it as a PVR? What are the hardware requirements for
> that?

I have tried using MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/) with some success.  I am
waiting for this application to develop a little further before I jump back in.
I don't have a good sense for the hardware requirements yet.

> Preston

Have fun,

Marc

---end quoted text---