[PLUG] UDF

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Feb 10 12:48:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I haven't yet attempted to play DVD's on this computer, but I am about
> to make the attempt. I downloaded and installed xine.
>
> However, although my DVD-ROM drive will play CD's, will it be recognized
> as a DVD drive? I downloaded a package to patch the kernel for UDF. Will
> I need to take this step? How do I know?

You don't need UDF to play DVD video.  You need UDF support to mount a UDF
filesystem.  Playing DVD video is like playing CD audio in that you don't
mount the device when you access the media.

MPlayer will play DVD video with direct access to all the titles and
chapters and various audio channels and angles.  I've never had it fail
and it's very fast and clean.  (I've gotten it to display menus, but
haven't bothered to see if I can navigate them or not... I usually just
play the titles directly.)

Ogle will allow you to navigate the menus, but my experience is that it's
rather unstable.

I've used Xine for playing DVDs, but I found the chapter access weak.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net