[PLUG] Beyond .COM - The Alternate Roots

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Feb 10 18:11:01 UTC 2003

Ed>  This presentation will bring you up to speed on the
Ed>  issues, and DEMONSTRATES LIVE that we can easily use
Ed>  the "standard roots" and the "alternate roots'
Ed>  together to access any of the TLDs - without affecting
Ed>  the health of the Internet.

But I hope the presentation makes it clear that it's not just *you*
who has to set your machine to use the altroots, but also EVERY SINGLE
MACHINE IN THE WORLD that might want to access your email or website.

Ain't gonna happen.

Much better to work with the IANA, as corrupt as the system is.  New
domain TLDs *are* being created.  Be patient.

Don't sign any checks at the meeting.  Don't visit any web pages
asking for money to register your pet domain name in the "new"
altroots.

Snake oil.  Pure snake oil.