[PLUG] VPN Suggestions?

Terry Layne plug at laynesoftware.com
Mon Feb 10 21:27:02 UTC 2003

On 10 Feb 2003 19:06:41 -0800, AthlonRob wrote
> Hey everybody-
>
> I'm going to be gone for several months... unfortunately, I'm going
> to be using AOL for my ISP.  I can't say why, but it is by far a better
> deal than anything else.
>
> I would really like to be able to connect to my local network here at
> home from away, though.  I was looking at OpenVPN at first as it didn't
> require any additional firewall rules on my firewall (and I'd like to
> run the VPN server behind the firewall, ideally).
>
> But... there doesn't seem to be a way to connect to an OpenVPN server
> with Windoze.  Bummer.
>
> So what kind of VPN solutions would you guys suggest I look in to?

What's wrong with ssh when you just need a shell and vnc when you want a
desktop?  The Windows VNC viewer works well enough.  You'd just need to open
22 and 580n, 590n, on your firewall (assuming you start vnc with vncserver :n.)

Terry Layne

--
Layne Software Company (http://www.laynesoftware.com)