[PLUG] Speaking of X

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Wed Feb 12 10:37:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 02:03, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2003, Bill Spears wrote:
>
> > Well, it was interesting to look at, in that X is really intricate
> > and I couldn't even begin to understand most of the start up
> > messages. It said I have two "mouses" defined, one of which I have:
> > PS2 and one I don't IMPS.
>
> That's probably not a problem. The IMPS mouse definition works with MS
> IntelliMouse devices on the PS/2 port; it also works with USB devices.
>
> If you're using a wheel mouse or a USB mouse, then you'll want to use
> the IMPS protocol.
>
> Can you provide
>
> * a description of the mouse you're using (no. of buttons, type of
>   connector, wheel/no-wheel, ...)
>
> * from your /etc/X11/XF86Config file
>   - any ServerLayout sections
>   - any InputDevice sections that define the mouse Driver
>
> --Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>

Mouse: Microsoft optical wheel mouse usb, plugged into a PS/2 adapter

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Anaconda Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse1"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
EndSection