[PLUG] Speaking of X

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Wed Feb 12 10:51:02 UTC 2003

On 13 Feb 2003, Bill Spears wrote:

> > Can you provide
> >
> > * a description of the mouse you're using (no. of buttons, type of
> >   connector, wheel/no-wheel, ...)
> >
> > * from your /etc/X11/XF86Config file
> >   - any ServerLayout sections
> >   - any InputDevice sections that define the mouse Driver
> >

> Mouse: Microsoft optical wheel mouse usb, plugged into a PS/2 adapter

Ah, that's interesting. So Linux and X think you've got a PS/2 mouse,
not a USB mouse. I think you'll need to do some editing of your
XF86Config file.

First, make a safe copy of your current /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

Then,

> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "Anaconda Configured"
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>         InputDevice     "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
>         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection

Comment out the Mouse0 and Mouse1 lines in the ServerLayout section.
Add a new line just below Mouse1:

  InputDevice  "MouseLocal" "CorePointer"

Create a new InputDevice Section:

  Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "MouseLocal"
    Driver     "mouse"
    Option     "Device"          "/dev/psaux"
    Option     "Protocol"        "IMPS/2"
    Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
    Option     "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
  EndSection

You can leave the Mouse0 and Mouse1 InputDevice sections alone.

Restart X and see if it flies. :-)

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>