[PLUG] Sound on the motherboard

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Wed Feb 12 12:20:03 UTC 2003

Hi Bill,

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 09:50, Bill Spears wrote:
> I have a motherboard with built in sound and finally decided to hook up
> some speakers and see if it works. It doesn't.
>
> I used both sndconfig and the new version included with RH 8.0 and when
> it played a test sound nothing happened.
>
> Context:
> 	motherboard: Ampton ddr 266
> 	sound stuff from boot up:
>
> Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.22, 12:24:02 Sep  4 2002
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:02.7
> i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0xd400 and 0xdc00, IRQ 11
> i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 2 channels.
> i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
> ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x414c:0x4326 (Unknown)
> i810_audio: only 48Khz playback available.
> i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 2

It looks like the sound card was found by the kernel, that is good.

> 	speakers: plugged in to blue connector which I believe is line out.

Try plugging into the green, sometimes the line out is muted, but the
speaker out is probably set to half volume.

To see if the sound card is functioning at some level, try playing an
audio cd.  This won't test your sound server, but will at least make
noise for you.  If this works, you need to open up a mixer program, and
see what has been muted and what hasn't.

Now, with the mixer open try a couple of different programs that are
supposed to make noise.

Report back with your findings.

Derek Loree