[PLUG] External Firewire Drive

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 16:34:02 UTC 2003

By now I have only one device I haven't used with
Linux, an IDE hard drive in an external FireWire case.
The system knows about it, for when it is hot-plugged
in, a stanza instantly appears in cat /proc/scsi/scsi:

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: WDC WD20 Model: 0BB-00CFC0       Rev:
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI
revision: 06

It might be convenient to use it. What would really be
helpful is if someone could tell me what the name of
this device was likely to be, so I could mount it.

mount /dev/1394 /mnt/1394. Well, sort of...

Otherwise, is there a good source of information on
the subject?

At the moment, I have the contents of my Windows
partition on it, although I haven't accessed that
partition in a long time. I had been thinking about
backing that data up to CD's, and using the FireWire
drive to back up Linux data.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."