[PLUG] Programming in Common Lisp

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Feb 13 10:47:11 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>   I'm learning the nuts and bolts of fuzzy system modeling which
Rich> includes GA and neural net components in some models. I _can_ do
Rich> it all in C (or C++ or python or prolog or lisp or scheme or
Rich> java or ...). The language really doesn't matter. For the use I
Rich> want to make of these models I'm considering if learning and
Rich> using CNU/Lisp (an implementation of Common Lisp) might make
Rich> model development much quicker than using C.

Do you mean CMUCL?  That's not a bad choice, but you might want to
keep in mind that since Common Lisp is an ANSI standard, it has
multiple implementations (both free-as-in-freedom and commercial), so
it doesn't matter that much which implementation you choose, and you
needn't limit yourself to one.  Learn the language, and then leave
yourself a choice of implementations.

I use CLISP quite a bit, because it is a little more light-weight for
exploration.  And even though CLISP compiles to byte-codes and uses a
matching byte-code interpretter, it is surprisingly quick.  CLISP also
has a nice 'readline' (command history, completion, editing, like
Bash) CLI for quick experimentation.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more