[PLUG] ntpd

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Thu Feb 13 13:20:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 04:24, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
> With NTP 4.x I think an NTP server will initially start polling about
> every 64 seconds and as things stabilize it starts increasing the
> number of seconds between polls until it gets to a maximum of polling a
> server ever 1024 seconds.
>
> Before you startup an NTP server make sure you system time is set
> reasonable well. This is normally done using "ntpdate -b <ntp-server>"
> to force the system time to be set rather than slewing it. You might
> also want to be sure that you write the contents of the system clock to
> the hardware clock as part of the shutdown process so the system time
> will be set fairly reasonably when the system is booted.
>
> If you don't update the hardware clock on shutdown you can also do this
> via a cron job at some reasonable interval. I noticed the hardware
> clock on my workstation was way off after I went many months without a
> reboot as NTP was only keeping the kernel's system time updated and did
> nothing with the hardware clock.
>
> Tony
>
> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 19:21 pm, Bill Spears wrote:
> > >
> > > Is your timezone set up properly?
> > >
> > > Rob
> >
> > Probably not. BTW, what is the default for how often ntpd checks the
> > time?

Well, I don't know what to say, but it's been _interesting_.  My problem
had something to do with rebooting. Everytime I did I would get a 16
hour (note we're in GMT-8) difference between hwclock -r and date. I
could then use date --set "-16 hours" to correct date, but the moment I
rebooted, the same 16 hour difference occurred. Finally chkconfig'ed
ntpd out and rebooted and it solved the problem, at least this time.