[PLUG] Kudzu? Was: Strange CD-RW problem

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Feb 13 14:02:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Robert Kopp wrote:

> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:52:53AM -0800, Robert
> > Kopp wrote:
> > > My HP desktop computer has two CD drives: a CD-RW
> > and
> > > a DVD-ROM. This is a rather common arrangement.
> > >
> > > Yesterday evening, upon bringing up my
> > disk-mounting
> > > GUI tool, I noted that the CD-RW was no longer
> > there.
> According to the docs, I'm not the first to have this
> problem after adding a digital camera as /dev/sda1. In
> that case, the solution was to take the kudzu entries
> out of fstab. I know next to nothing about kudzu, so
> as long as I can still burn CD's, I might leave it
> alone until I am more knowledgeable on the subject.
> Any kudzu fans, or detractors, on this list?

The problem is not one of Kudzu, per se, but of how cd burners work.

To use a cd burner currently, you need to use ide->scsi emulation.  Adding
the digital camera as a scsi device (probably usb storage) has moved the
pointer for /dev/cdrom to something that does not exist. Kudzu is just
trying to figure out what happened.

Try "ls -l /dev/cdrom" and see where it was pointed. Look through "dmesg"
and figure out where it really is.  Modify simlinks as needed.