[PLUG] iptables logging

Terry Layne plug at laynesoftware.com
Tue Feb 18 08:42:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:34:38 -0800 (PST), Josh Orchard wrote
> Could someone tell me how I can get all messages from an iptables script
> to log all request?  I'm trying to see where the machine thinks it is
> sending a port forward request.  It appears to be wrong and I can't find
> it.  I also can't find where iptables puts an logs.  I'm guessing it
> is off by default but can't seem to get the LOG option to go on any
> new rule.

Do "man iptables" and look for the LOG target.  In a nutshell, for each rule
you want to log you create an identical rule except the target is LOG.  Put
that rule right before the one you want to watch.  When a packet matches it
first gets logged and then goes back to where it was and checks the next rule.

--
Terry Layne
Portland, OR