[PLUG] LVM on Redhat 8.0

Terry Layne plug at laynesoftware.com
Tue Feb 18 12:43:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:05:51 -0800, Galen Seitz wrote
> I'm about to install Redhat 8.0, using LVM for all filesystems except
> / and /boot.  I would appreciate hearing any comments, both positive
> and negative, regarding such a setup.  This will be my first attempt
> at using LVM, and I'd like it to be a positive one.

I've used LVM on Slackware and RH 7.3 for the past year with no serious
problems.  On Redhat 7.3 there was a bit of a problem with trying to mount a
filesystem before the lvm module was loaded at boot time.  I got around it by
modifying rc.sysinit to modprobe lvm-mod (or is it mod-lvm?)  Later I had a
need to switch to a custom kernel for other reasons so I built lvm into the
kernel so that I could go back to an unmodified rc.sysinit.

The commands for configuring volumes are very easy to use.  Just follow the
LVM-HOWTO and you'll be up and running in no time.

On my 4 RH 7.3 servers I have mirrored SCSI disks and I'm using LVM for a
/data filesystem so that future expansion will be easy.  These are running in
a production system.

On my Slackware box at home I have 5 SCSI drives (in an old AT case with no
motherboard) combined to create one big logical volume.  Five drives for a
total of 17 GB and one of them is held in place by velcro. :-)

--
Terry Layne
Portland, OR