[PLUG] Network / NIC problems

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Tue Feb 18 21:58:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 21:30, Keith Nasman wrote:
> I have the following setup:
>
> laptop(10.0.0.35) <--> wireless AP <---> (10.0.0.10) firewall
> (192.168.0.10) <---> (192.168.0.11)server
>
> I have my firewall (and wireless AP) port forwarding the SSH connection to
> my server. When I start and scp transfer from the laptop to xfer files
> from the server to the laptop about 2Mb get transferred and the connection
> dies. I can then ssh into the firewall down eth1 and bring it back up and
> then I can make another connection to the server. When I bring up eth1 it
> says no route to host, however the link is up and I can make another
> connection. Any ideas on this one? Is my NIC failing? There is nothing in
> the logs on either end.

Check for drops in ifconfig, errors in ifconfig and netstat -s and
duplex mismatch in mii-tool or ethtool. That should give you an
indication of something failing at the physical or data-link layers.
Also, the OS should, in theory, throw a SIGURG in the event of an urgent
condition on a socket so if you have the ability to trap that signal you
should be able to verify the condition of the NIC (or even the state of
the OS) during the outtage period.