[PLUG] What caused damage to my /bin/ls file?

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.com
Wed Feb 19 18:40:03 UTC 2003

If your system uses RPM's you can use the "-V" option in rpm(8) to
verify package integrity.  (Use "rpm -qf /bin/ls" to find the package
name.)

---

I was having intermittent (and then growing more frequent) problems
with commands failing to run, and reporting that they couldn't find
glibc symbols.

 -- Grabbed a copy of "memtest86" from http://www.memtest86.com.
 -- Used the ISO image for a bootable CD.
 -- Let it run overnight.

In my case, there was an intermittent RAM error for a couple of bit change
patterns.  Very subtle .... very aggravating.  But over 4 hours it was able
to trigger about half-dozen errors in a consistent location.  Replaced
the RAM.
Tested overnight, and everything was OK.

---

If the actual data on your disk is hosed, then it probably isn't a memory
problem.  Another recent headache involved a Dell laptop that would
*mostly* work .... until I tried to re-install the OS.  After running their
full system diags over a couple of days, I managed to log enough
consistent drive errors that Dell shipped a replacement drive.

---