[PLUG] Lindows Mobile PC

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Thu Feb 20 10:07:01 UTC 2003

> He's comparing it to a PDA, because a PDA isn't that much cheaper than
> this machine.

I understand. It's still a stupid comparison, given that he itemizes all the things a PDA lacks. My wife's Dell laptop (on which I promptly loaded SuSE) only cost $700. I also own a Zaurus. When I bought my Zaurus I wasn't detered by the fact that it didn't have a full-size keyboard, didn't have hard disk, didn't have a USB or didn't have firewire. Not to mention a 12" monitor. It's a PDA. When I bought it I wanted a PDA. When I wanted a laptop I bought a laptop. I wouldn't pack a laptop with a 12" screen with me everywhere, nor would I spend much time typing on my Zaurus. It's a silly comparison.

> He might be a moron, but he's always getting a lot of attention from the
> general public and advocating linux. If Lindows develops an easy way to
> bridge linux and windows together for the general public that isn't ready
> to use open office yet, all the more power to them.

That's the problem I have. He's getting the attention of the public and making it look like Linux is the bastion of hucksters and shysters.

> To be fair, I haven't tried LindowsOS yet, but I'd like to take a look at
> it someday just to see how easy it is to install Windows s/w on it. If I
> could install all the windows apps that my mom needs for her business on
> lindows, I'd seriously consider moving her from her windows environment.

Actually, I don't think it does the Windows software thing anymore. That was the original premise, but I believe it either turned out to be too expensive or too difficult. Lycoris or Xandros would probably be better for a newbie looking for this kind of functionality.

> LindowsOS might not be for me, but it might be good for someone else who
> is ready to leave windows.

I agree. It might work for some newbies. I just think the good name of Linux is being sullied by Lindows. Just my opinion.

Preston