[PLUG] httpd performance

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Feb 20 13:58:01 UTC 2003

If you accepted the default firewall set, that refuses connection to any
server on the box, unless you specifically enable it.

This is a good thing. Deny all, allow some is usually the most secure way
to go about it.

Assuming you have the firewall running, you should boot up the fw config
tool, and enable connections to port 80 (httpd).

Redhat as documentation here:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-basic-firewall.html#S1-BASIC-FIREWALL-SECURITYLEVEL

At 01:35 PM 2/20/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I have httpd (2.0) installed in RH 8.0, Mandrake 9.0,
>and Openoffice 3.1 on the same computer. I haven't put
>it anywhere else yet.
>
>I can bring it up on the computer on which it is
>installed in any of these installations by pointing it
>to "localhost." On OL3.1 and Mandrake, I can also see
>it on a Windows computer connected to the network by
>pointing it to 192.168.0.3.
>
>But not Red Hat: "Connection refused." I find RH to be
>a somewhat unsociable distribution, perhaps because of
>firewall rules (which I don't fully understand). Does
>anyone else get this impression?

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #4 (Collect all 18)
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful." - Annette Funicello