[PLUG] Certifications

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Thu Feb 20 20:27:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 14:03, Chaz wrote:
> Have any of you found certifications such as
> RHCE to be advantageous?
> -chaz

Only if your prospective employer requires it. One IS Manager read the
certification section of my resume and all she had to say was "Welcome
to the club". However, if your looking at a certificate that carries the
letters BS, MS or PhD then your looking at something that will likely
land a job with no top-out. An RHCE alone will max out eventually, and
possibly go down, as the market gets flooded with them (a good example
of this is MCSE and CNE). I think a good rule of thumb is that if a cert
gets you in the door then it is of value, it's just not a replacement
for a degree.

Steve