[PLUG] dpkg error- -subprocess paste killed by signal

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Fri Feb 21 10:09:01 UTC 2003

Okay Debian deities, here's your big chance to show off. what the heck is
going on here? A Googling on "subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
pipe)" returns zillions of hits, on all different kinds of failed
installations, but not much that is useful to me. I'm just an old country
sysadmin, dammit, not a ace kernel hacker.

This all started with upgrading KDE 3.05 to 3.1 on Libranet Debian 2.7.
Everything else went smoothly, these two packages are stubbornly resisting,
libarts1 libartsc0. I tried moving /usr/bin/artscat and /usr/bin/artsdsp out
of the way, what the heck it was worth a try. Made no difference. I started
with

apt-get upgrade kdelibs4

which went fine. Then:

apt-get upgrade kdelibs-bin

That's when this dpkg error first appeared. I resorted to apt-get -f install,
trusting in Debian's magical abilities to fix things. Well that didn't work.
Then I tried deleting /usr/bin/artsdsp and /usr/bin/artscat from
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libarts1-bin.list, which did not fix it. (Hint: leaving
spaces between the filenames makes more errors.)

I won't bore you with ranting about how installing a single KDE app leads to
this huge ugly winderz-type interdepency mess, especially on a fricken
half-point release. I didn't want to upgrade every darn thing, I just wanted
Quanta.

So- any bright ideas?

Thanks!
Carla

# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  libarts1 libartsc0
  libartsc0
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 172  not upgraded.
8 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 889kB of archives. After unpacking 946kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://download.kde.org stable/main libarts1 1.1.0-0woody4 [846kB]
Get:2 http://download.kde.org stable/main libartsc0 1.1.0-0woody4 [43.2kB]
Fetched 889kB in 21s (40.6kB/s)
(Reading database ... 147934 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libarts1 1.0.5a-0woody1 (using
.../libarts1_1.1.0-0woody4_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libarts1 ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libarts1_1.1.0-0woody4_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/artscat', which is also in package libarts1-bin
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Unpacking libartsc0 (from .../libartsc0_1.1.0-0woody4_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libartsc0_1.1.0-0woody4_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/artsdsp', which is also in package libarts1-bin
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libarts1_1.1.0-0woody4_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libartsc0_1.1.0-0woody4_i386.deb

Carla Schroder
www.tuxcomputing.com
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.7 and Kmail