[PLUG] dpkg error- -subprocess paste killed by signal

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Fri Feb 21 15:04:01 UTC 2003

Hi Carla,

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 14:32, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2003 01:06 pm, Russell Senior wrote:
> > Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with libranet, just
> > plain-old-debian-debian.  That said, here are a few suggestions.
>
> Libranet is Debian with nice extras. Underneath it's Real Debian.

Can you run dselect?

> > What does your /etc/apt/sources.list look like?
>
> Libranet, Debian stable, and kde
> >
> > You might try dpkg'ing the deb it is tripping over:
> >
> >   dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libarts1_1.1.0-0woody4_i386.deb

You could try uninstalling anything to do with the "arts" package (I
believe it is the KDE sound server), using dselect would be easiest, let
it drag out anything it wants (you can get them back later), then don't
install anything else until you can run the install routine with no
errors; sometimes you have to run this several times to clear up any
cascaded dependancies.

Now go after Quanta, run the install routine until it doesn't do
anything.

Finally install any other packages (that you want) that were taken out
with the "arts" stuff.

> Same error message.
> >
> > and see what that says.  Maybe even try some of the --debug options.
> >
> > I notice that these are kde.org packages.  You might check with
> > whoever is responsible for them to see if they have reported bugs.
>
> That's a good idea. Libarts packages are related to sound drivers, I don't
> thing they are KDE packages. But anything can happen when many chefs try to
> fix the soup.
>

> > The other suggestion is to do a full update/upgrade.  I notice you
> > have ~170 not upgraded packages.  Probably not related, but when
> > debugging it is often good to reduce variables.
>
> Well, this one is a showstopper- nothing wants to install until this
> particular issue is resolved. This particular error, the "subprocess paste
> killed by signal" is quite common, and not particular to any application. So
> far all I'm finding is mysterious kernel hacker communications, and
> bewildered users with no answers.

I think the (broken pipe) is a better clue, this is the reason for the
paste failure.  I saw this error a lot when working with a SOAP
developer, it usually meant the connection to the server was screwed up
somehow.  In this case, I think it is a command pipe created by the
install script.

Good Luck

Derek Loree