[PLUG] Blocking websites?

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Fri Feb 21 15:28:16 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:31:19PM -0700, Matt Alexander wrote:
> I need to restrict the websites that a couple users can access running.
> They should be able to access 3 sites and no others.  If it makes any
> difference, the users are on a Linux Terminal Server.  Any suggestions on
> how to accomplish this?
> Thanks,
> ~M

Tweak local name resolution. :)  Only if they require access to these 3 sites _only_ (no
other local services).

Remove nameserver entries from /etc/resolv.conf and add the 3 hostnames
to /etc/hosts (with IP's).

They will be able to hit a website if they know the IP address, but they
won't be able to lookup the IP with no nameserver entries.  They could
do it with dig only if they knew an IP of a DNS server.

Quick-n-dirty if you don't want to mess with firewalling and your users
aren't technical.