[PLUG] Certifications

Terry Layne plug at laynesoftware.com
Sat Feb 22 11:44:16 UTC 2003

On 22 Feb 2003 11:24:06 -0800, Steven A. Adams wrote
> On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 11:10, Timothy Grant wrote:
> > I do believe it did. One of the nice things about RH testing and Cisco
testing
> > is that they are practical tests. Whereas I believe that MS testing and
> > Novell testing are purely "knowledge" tests.
> >
> > Practical testing actually shows that you can do more than commit
knowledge in
> > a book to memory.
>
> True with MS tests, not true of Novell tests. Most of the Novell
> tests are packed with multi-part, hands on simulated exercises that your
> graded on. Although I didn't find them particularly difficult if I
> had no hands on working knowledge of the operating system and it's
> tools I would probably have failed.

I believe that when discussing tests, terms like "practical" and "applied
skills" should be interpreted to mean "things I know" whereas terms
like "book knowledge" and "rote memorization" mean "things I don't know."
At least that's how I've always used them. :-)

--
Terry Layne
Portland, OR