[PLUG] Re: W2K or XP for dual-boot system?

Eric House fixin at peak.org
Tue Feb 25 09:09:01 UTC 2003

> > I seem to have a choice between machines with W2K and XP installed,
> > and so am wondering if I should care.  My work-issued laptop
> > dual-boots with W2K and seems fine (and runs all the apps I need).  XP
> > is newer, and presumably will be current longer; but I worry about its
> > reputation as spyware and whether it'll be a good citizen on a
> > dual-boot disk.
>
> Win2K is Windows NT 5.0, WinXP is Windows NT 5.1 - they are *very*
> similar.
>
> Neither should give you any problems whatsoever in a dual-boot system.
>
> XP is a bit evil with it's WPA, but if you don't mind that, might as
> well go for XP.

It looks as if the problems I've heard about have more to do with the
partition type than the Windoze version.  If XP will let me install it
onto a Fat23 partition, and will use the same swap partition as Linux,
I'll give it a shot.  The WPA stuff could make for some cheap
entertainment: firewall it so it can't talk to the mother ship and
watch it squirm. :-)

The machine I wound up getting, an IBM M41 P4 1800/256/40, comes with
XP.  It's the first machine I've bought in close to five years, and
will be a fun change from the castoff PII/200 systems I'm used to.

Thanks for the help.  I'll post results when I have 'em.

--Eric