[PLUG] Image conversion

Michael Luevane mikel at quantecllc.com
Tue Feb 25 14:03:02 UTC 2003

If you go the Windows route, check out IRFanView - http://www.irfanview.com.
Nice.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin at lists.pdxlinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin at lists.pdxlinux.org]On Behalf Of Robert Kopp
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 1:56 PM
To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Image conversion

There are few situations in which I would benefit from
the use of OCR, but I could imagine circumstances
under which I would want to use it occasionally.

I was able to get my USB scanner working with SANE,
but the only mode that seems to be supported is 24-bit
color. Most OCR programs require 1-bit input, which
makes sense.

I'm wondering whether it would be feasible to convert
the scanned images containing text from 24-bit to
1-bit, and if so, what software would do it. The only
point in OCR is to save time, so unless the process is
reasonably convenient, it wouldn't be worth the
trouble.

I may use a Windows OCR program, so if the
image-editing program is for Windows, it would be
acceptable if it works under WINE.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."