[PLUG] Re: Getting dosemu running again

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 26 06:50:04 UTC 2003

  I know some of you are successfully running dosemu. Yesterday I spent a
little time trying to get it running again here and made some progress.
However, when invoking the emulator I now get continuous error messages
writing to the screen.

  Below is the response I sent to the linux-msdos mail list and an
individual who offered some thoughts last month. If anyone here has insight
into solving the current error, please let me know.

Thanks,

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Bonz wrote:

> An alternative approach is to create a large dosimage as per the
> instructions & sit this atop a linux partition which has ext3 protection
> & nowhere near as many problems with geometry of drives.

  Progress, I think.

  I made soft links from /var/lib/dosemu/bootdir.first/ to all the
directories in /dos7/. Then I modifed /etc/dosemu.conf so $_hdimage points
to bootdir.first.

  In the QuickStart doc file, it suggests inoking dosemu with 'dos -O
2>/tmp/error.out'. I tried that and nothing happened. I was back at the bash
prompt once again. So I tried what worked before, 'dos -C' (for color). Once
again, I saw this:

> Linux DOS emulator 1.0.0.0 $Date: 2000/03/05 $
> Last configured at Sun Mar  5 21:50:56 MET 2000 on linux
> This is work in progress.
> Please test against a recent version before reporting bugs and problems.
> Bugs, Patches & New Code to linux-msdos at vger.rutgers.edu
>
> DPMI-Server Version 0.9 installed

  Nothing after this, so I pressed [Enter] and a non-stop race of:

ERROR: HLT requested: lina=0x5fbc!

kept scrolling by until I killed the process.

  Can someone please explain this error to me, and suggest how to fix the
problem?