[PLUG] AMD CPUs for a linux workstation

Damon Bull damonbull at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 26 15:45:02 UTC 2003

--- Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   I've looked at AMD's Web site and learn nothing
> useful about their
> different processor lines: Athlon, Duron and Moron.
> Ignoring the marketing
> hype, what would be the best _value_ for a
> behind-the-bleeding-edge
> workstation/server?

Rich,

I'm pretty partial to the Athlon XP 1800+.  It runs at
1538MHz, but performs like an Intel 1800MHz processor,
if you believe the marketing.

But the processor is fast, reliable, and I've had no
problems with compatibility.  And ENU Inc on the west
side sells it with a fan for $79.  Pretty cheap for
what you get, I think.

db.