[PLUG] AMD CPUs for a linux workstation

Mark Martin mmartin at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 27 09:09:02 UTC 2003

Tom's Hardware benchmarked 65 processors and posted the results last week in
this article

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

Each successive Athlon represents a reasonable gain over the previous model
until the 3000+, which really isn't much better than the 2800+ and can't be
overclocked much.  Tom's results and a price list from your favorite vendor
should give you a quick assessment of bang-for-the-buck.

You might also want to look at their review of the 3000+, which is available
at

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/index.html

Tom's is generally a fan of AMD but points out that the Athlon has had a
longer lifespan than any other modern processor and it is past time to move
to the 64-bit Opteron or Athlon 64, which are expected to hit the shelves
before mid-year and in the fall, respectively.  See the AMD processor roadmap

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html

for more information.  So, no current Athlon is bleeding edge, unless you mean
bleeding in a financial sense.

Enjoy!

Mark

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 16:17, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I've looked at AMD's Web site and learn nothing useful about their
> different processor lines: Athlon, Duron and Moron. Ignoring the marketing
> hype, what would be the best _value_ for a behind-the-bleeding-edge
> workstation/server?
>
>   Thanks.
>
> Rich
Mark A. Martin, Ph.D.
Applied Mathematics -- Software Development -- Systems Administration
Currently available for employment.
See http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin/resume/ for details.