[PLUG] AMD CPUs for a linux workstation

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 27 09:23:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Mark Martin wrote:

> Tom's Hardware benchmarked 65 processors and posted the results last week in
> this article
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

  Thanks, Mark.

> Tom's is generally a fan of AMD but points out that the Athlon has had a
> longer lifespan than any other modern processor and it is past time to move
> to the 64-bit Opteron or Athlon 64, which are expected to hit the shelves
> before mid-year and in the fall, respectively.  See the AMD processor roadmap

  The primary use of the system determines what processor is most
appropriate. For writing, accounting, spreadsheets, e-mail and other
user-bound work the cpu speed and bit size is not terribly important. For a
machine on which I would be running spatial and
hydrologic/hydraulic/sediment transport models or fuzzy decision support
models I could justify a fast, 64-bit, multiple-cpu configuration. Actually,
for the low-end stuff, the current (~5 year old) PII/333MHz system is plenty
fast.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)