[PLUG] Linux Screen Shots Wanted

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Wed Jan 1 11:57:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 07:51, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Robert Kopp wrote:
> > KDE can be made to look almost exactly like Windoze. Do you suppose
> > this would make Linux look less threatening to those who were
> > considering a transition?
>
> This is just a personal comment and really has nothing to do with the
> thread of screenshots for whatever Cooper's purposes might be.
>
> I think that KDE's (or any other window/session manager's) similarity to
> Windows is a Bad Thing <TM>.
>
> The similar look and feel leads a user to do things "The Windows
> Way" rather than "The Unix Way" and, thus, negate much, if not all, of the
> benefit of using a unix-like operating system.
.
.
.
> I find that when moving someone from Windows instead of promising that
> things will be very much LIKE what they have used in the past, better
> success is achieved (and a more well-rounded user/home administrator
> developed) by focussing on how DIFFERENT things are on this side of the
> fence.
>
> Just my thoughts.
> J.
> --
>    -----------------
>      Jeme A Brelin
>     jeme at brelin.net
>    -----------------
>  [cc] counter-copyright
>  http://www.openlaw.org

Jeme,

Sometimes you are hard to take, but this time I must agree with you.
There are some good things in Windows Applications that we should
imitate or at least make a similar functionality.  But the reason to
move to any software should be that it is a better solution overall.  I
find open source software to be more reliable, less crashy (if this is a
word), and when and if the owner of the software makes it unavailable
any more for any reason (remember Bill's threat to take Windows off the
market?), the software is still usable and maintainable.

Ken
www.cad2cam.com
www.cadtocam.com