[PLUG] The 'Unix Way' vs. 'Some Other Ways.'

guy1656 guy1656 at ados.com
Thu Jan 2 15:20:05 UTC 2003

: > I think that KDE's (or any other window/session manager's) similarity to
: > Windows is a Bad Thing <TM>.
: >
: > The similar look and feel leads a user to do things "The Windows
: > Way" rather than "The Unix Way" and, thus, negate much, if not all, of
: > the benefit of using a unix-like operating system.

Most users don't really want to 'use' a computer anyway - they want to 'use'
e-mail, a word processor, a spreadsheet program, a solid modeller, an image
editor, etc.

Keeping this in mind as a designer is sometimes counter-intuitive. I am a
mechanical engineer, and for me, I have to remember that very few people who
buy a cordless drill actually want to own one. What they actually want is a
hole somewhere.

Similarly, what would happen if, when deciding to switch telephone companies,
you had to remember to stop using your phone 'the AT&T Way' and learn all
about 'the Sprint Way,' (insert any phone company you wish, I just picked two
for examples.)

Now this would be lovely if the Open Source Communication device was an
opportunity for folks to get rid of a certain evil telephony provider that
had a habit of tapping peoples conversations 'because you agreed to let us do
so in your service agreement with us...'

-GLL