[PLUG] Automating updates

Colin Kuskie ckuskie at dalsemi.com
Thu Jan 2 15:21:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:13:21PM -0800, Scott VanHoosen wrote:
> We have a few Red Hat servers at work, and I'd like to automate their
> updates, but I have one link in the chain that I'm stuck at.
>
> I'd like to have one server automatically download any new RPMs from
> somewhere, probably an ftp server, dump them into a directory along
> with all my other RPMs, then do an "rpm -f *.rpm" to freshen any
> packages on the system. I'll probably share the directory using NFS so
> the other Red Hat servers can update too.
>
> The problem I'm stuck at: what would be the best way to automatically
> download only new packages and/or packages I don't already have in my
> RPM directory?

Couple of ideas:

1) use up2date from Red Hat.  I think it's $60/machine/year.

2) Use a copy of Paul Heinlein's rsync script (see PLUG archives) to
download the RPMs from a mirror and then look at freshmeat to find a
copy of Current (http://www.biology.duke.edu/computer/unix/current/),
which allows you to set up your own up2date server for your private
network.

Good luck,
Colin