[PLUG] Automating updates

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Jan 2 17:43:03 UTC 2003

Scott VanHoosen wrote:

>The problem I'm stuck at: what would be the best way to automatically
>download only new packages and/or packages I don't already have in my
>RPM directory?

I use the perl script mirror. It keeps the directory up to date,
downloading new, and removing obsolete (as in, they don't exist on the
mirror any longer) files.

For the updates, I DON'T recommend doing an rpm freshen with a directory
of files. I've had rpm get confused and not know what to do.

What I do here is use the fine autorpm script from Kirk Bauer. It can
use your repository to update the installed RPMs, and follows
dependancies if any come up.

mirror is available here:  http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/mirror/

autorpm is available here:  http://www.autorpm.org/

Kirk is also the author of the wonderful logwatch script, available
here:  http://www.logwatch.org/

I use logwatch extensively as well.

--
Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another -- Murphy's Laws on Sex n°58