[PLUG] Automatic shutdown from a UPS

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Thu Jan 2 20:34:03 UTC 2003

I think just adding another serial board is the way to go here. I've
been using APC's PowerChute software for Linux on my SmartUPS 700 for
nearly two years and it works quite well. The only negative was that
the install procedure was very RedHat oriented and so some of my files
on my system which runs SuSE Linux were mangled a bit. I had to fix a
few things by hand.

PowerChute works quite nicely and cleanly shuts down my system when the
power goes out for too long of a duration. I also have several other
Linux system connected to dumb APC BackUPS 650 units for which I made
my own signaling cables for a few dollars in parts from a second hand
electronics store.

I have my own hacked monitoring daemon which started life as the
"backupsd" code which I took from the Linux UPS-HOWTO document. There
were certain problems/shortcomings with the original daemon code and so
I have my own "extended" version which corrects the problems I
encountered with the original daemon. This setup has served me very
well for nearly 4 years now.

Tony