[PLUG] Compiling KDE from source

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 21:45:02 UTC 2003

I am presently undertaking the compilation of KDE from
source code, partly because I think the experience
gained might be valuable. I am attempting to install
3.0.5 on a system that now has an older version. I
have already compiled Qt with the appropriate options,
and have downloaded the KDE source files for 3.0.5.

There is only one regular user on my computer
("normal?") Under these circumstances, the path can be
set in the user account by adding lines to .bashrc in
this manner:

QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde
KDEHOME=/home/example/.kde
PATH=$PATH:$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib
export QTDIR KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The instructions on KDE's site imply that this file is
to be made active BEFORE compilation of the new KDE
source files. Although it is not explicit about
another point, it seems that one would have to be in
console mode to do these operations, since the present
version of KDE would no longer be in the path.

Is that right? Should I boot at runlevel 3 to compile
the KDE source files?

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."