[PLUG] bash questiom

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 14:54:02 UTC 2003

I compiled the three essential packages of KDE (arts,
libs, base). I was told that it could be launched
after these three were installed, and, since
compilation is a very time-consuming process, I
attempted to do this at that point to determine
whether I was wasting my time.

"startx" drew a blank, unfortunately. Something like
[1] 3415

I set a path to this installation for a single user in
.bashrc. One thing to check is whether "echo $PATH"
will return any reference to the olde installation,
and unfortunately it does.The path is set in .bashrc
as follows:

PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH

So apparently it just cheerfully tacked the new
directories onto what was already there. I really am
embarrassed to ask this question: where does $PATH
come from? If it is set system-wide, I'd rather change
it some other way. Perhaps I could leave out $PATH and
instead just use a list of the directories that were
supposed to be in the path. In any case, I'd like to
change it just for the user; if I hadn't done it that
way, I might not be online now! (I haven't tried
logging into Yahoo with Lynx, but it wouldn't be much
fun.)

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."