[PLUG] Automatic shutdown from a UPS

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Sun Jan 5 23:42:04 UTC 2003

I'm using "apcupsd" on two machines with two UPS's.  One has a serial
connection, the other a USB connection.  It works very well.  "apcupsd"
can operate in a networked mode, as a slave, when you have more than one
machine plugged into the UPS.  The master signals the slave over the
network.  You could just as easily use a PLIP or firewire connection as
an ethernet, I suppose.

The problem I have with the USB version is that the HID device sometimes
moves out from under it.  It's trying for hid0, and that works, but
after it restarts, the silly device has moved to hid1.  It's some sort
of devfs bug.  I've seen the same thing happen with v4l devices too, so
it's not the HID code, afaict.

At least with the versions of apcupsd that I am presently running, the
serial version can shut off the power of the UPS, but the USB version
cannot.  There might be a newer one available; I've not checked in ages.