[PLUG] Re: [PLUG-WEB] Don't everybody help me at once now...

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Mon Jan 6 03:58:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 00:05, Geoff Burling wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2003, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>
> > Now don't all go try and help out at once now...
> >
> > Anyone want to author some content here?
> >
> > How many have looked over the site?
> > Have looked over the SOURCE to the site?

? No response here?  Have you COMPARED the two sites SOURCE and thought
about readability and maintainability?  Content aside, this is a very
important consideration.  The oldsite is in CVS also now.  Take a look
everyone.

> > Can understand it?  Have any questions about it?
> > Have ideas to share?

I see that you do.  Great.  And thanks for the adrenaline.  I am
enjoying it.

> > Have seen bugs.pdxlinux.org?
> > Have signed up for an account on the BTS?
> > Have filed a ticket for a feature request or whatever?
> >
> > Let's get the show on the road, people.  I would like some assistance,
> > please.
> >
> Karl, just when did you become webmaster? Last time I looked, I had that
> responsibility. Common courtesy & nettequette dictates that you should
> at least ASK if you wanted to take over the duties.

I became webmaster when I took the initiative and reimplemented the
website backend.  We now have validated HTML, and readable source.  All
that remains is to port the content.  The difficult part is finished!

XEmacs on drizzle is configured globally with the "mmm-mode" support
required for maintaining the site.  If you do not have DSL or would like
to edit locally, you can check it out of CVS.  Install "mmm-mode", copy
the relevant setups from /etc/xemacs21/site-start.d/* (grep mmm there),
and also grab "mmm-ext.el" (locate it).  Tested in XEmacs only, YMMV,
ask me for help if you need any.  It should be fairly straightforward to
get working -- 10 minutes.

> In other words, the FAQ for PLUG, the list of presentations for the last
> four years, Linux contacts for other groups, companies, & contractors --
> not mention email links to anyone connected with PLUG -- all vanished.
> About the only thing on the web site now is an outdated meeting announcement,
> & Dave's history of PLUG. Oh, there are some colorful links about Debian.

Yes, excellent.  That is the list I was asking for when I began this
thread.  Now I have a Todo list.  Keep the suggestions coming, folks!
(thweeeeeppp! <-- great feedback!  Love it.)

> I'm not claiming that what I have done was award-winning work, but I felt
> I was at least keeping the site up to date, fixing links, keeping it
> visible until either I could give it my undivided attention, or someone
> who wanted to work full time on it volunteered to take it to the next stage.

Right, that's me.  And no, it was not award winning work.  The markup
sucks -- it looks like totally unprofessional garbage, pasted from an
ancient "I edit in pico as I learn HTML for dummies" (I only know one
layout trick - gif bordered table) PLUG site.

> As a result, people were starting to use the site more, & it had the
> potential to be a useable resource; but your slap-dash work now put what's
> there back a year. BTW, not only did I solicit feedback & talked to people
> about what the site needed, I made an effort to keep all of the existing
> content where anyone could see it.

If they used the site, it was due to the content, not the
implementation.  Your content will be ported shortly.

> If you want people to help you, learn to work with people.

Yeah, right.  CVS for dummies anyone?  Anyone know how to use PSGML mode
in XEmacs?  "mmm-mode"?  HTML::Mason in Apache mod_perl?  That's the
implementation technology I have chosen for this.  Please view the
source once via the CVS link and have a quick look-see.