[PLUG] I vote Karl's site must go, and now. For a simple reason.

Zot O'Connor zot at zotconsulting.com
Tue Jan 7 02:12:02 UTC 2003

I was going to write a longer note, but this stopped me dead.

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 19:16, karlheg at hegbloom.net wrote:
> You will also need a configured and functioning "psgml-mode" setup.
> For those savvy ("lucky") enough to use Debian, it should Just Work
> once you install the SGML stuff along with XEmacs, mmm-mode, and
> mmm-ext.el.  If you use XEmacs on Debian, you should NOT install
> psgml-mode or cvs-pcl, since they're already part of XEmacs.  Let me
> know if you need a package list... though it's just as easy to find it
> yourself in "aptitude".

> Yes, Jamie, I am telling you HOW to do it.  Don't use "vi" for this.
> Just don't.  It won't support this thing very well.  Use XEmacs, and
> if you MUST have "vi" keybindings, set it in "M-x viper" mode then go
> with the flow.

I not going to argue the merits of Emacs vs. vi vs pico vs. notepad.

But once a site requires, fucking requires an a particular editor it has
no freedom, no choice, and no business being on a Linux site.

Unless the site can be use with *ALL* editors that can write a text file
(so notepad is out), or be edited via a browser (and all browsers).

Perhaps I read that post wrong.  if so, Karl, post a sample page to the
list, and show how to edit it in the email.

If not, revert the site immediately, or install frontpage and use it
instead.  At least with a Microsoft Product we are used to being forced
into using software to create hard to read files.

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com
http://www.WhiteKnightHackers.com